Science and the Bible
The Big Bang is one of the most widely accepted and studied scientific theories regarding how the universe began. According to this theory, the universe started either as an extremely small, hot, dense bit of matter, or absolutely nothing. This something/nothing expanded, becoming everything in the universe… time, space, matter and energy… and the universe has been getting bigger ever since. I will write another post about the Big Bang and other theories, but first let’s see if the Bible says anything about the Universe expanding…
The Bible and the Expanding Universe
Isaiah 40:22 It is he who sits above the circle of the earth, and its inhabitants are like grasshoppers;
who stretches out the heavens like a curtain, and spreads them like a tent to dwell in;
Thus says God, the LORD, who created the heavens and stretched them out, who spread out the earth and what comes from it, who gives breath to the people on it and spirit to those who walk in it:
I made the earth and created man on it; it was my hands that stretched out the heavens, and I commanded all their host.
who alone stretched out the heavens and trampled the waves of the sea;
He stretches out the north over the void and hangs the earth on nothing.
covering yourself with light as with a garment, stretching out the heavens like a tent.
– It is he who made the earth by his power, who established the world by his wisdom, and by his understanding stretched out the heavens.
– The oracle of the word of the LORD concerning Israel: Thus declares the LORD, who stretched out the heavens and founded the earth and formed the spirit of man within him
The Big Bang was first conceived in the early 1920’s
The Bible discussed the stretching out of the heavens over 2,000 years before this. One other thing that the Big Bang seems to say is that the Universe had a beginning, and will have an end. Many Christians (myself included) say that there must have been a Creator (God/Jesus) before the Big Bang, that caused the Big Bang. This raises another question… are there any Bible verses that say that God existed before the Universe? Let’s take a look at some verses and see…
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
For thus says the LORD, who created the heavens, (he is God!), who formed the earth and made it (he established it; he did not create it empty, he formed it to be inhabited!): I am the LORD, and there is no other.
2 Timothy 1:9
– who saved us and called us to a holy calling, not because of our works but because of his own purpose and grace, which he gave us in Christ Jesus before the ages began,
– in hope of eternal life, which God, who never lies, promised before the ages began
– For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.
By faith we understand that the universe was created by the word of God, so that what is seen was not made out of things that are visible.
All of these verses clearly state that God (and one other being) were doing things before the Universe and time began. There is one other verse that interests me quite a bit… Job 26:7 states, “He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing.” At the time this verse was written (and in some cases even more recently), many Native Americans believed that the earth was carried on the back of a great turtle. The Greeks believed that Atlas stood at the edge of the world and held the heavens on his back.